Tuesday, June 26, 2012

6/26/2012

It has been three days now and my checked bag has still not arrived.  I did at least get a little bit of information though because I called a different number for the baggage services of China Airlines in Taipei.  They were able to tell me that they think my bag has not been sent here from San Francisco yet.  They have sent a message there to request that the bag be sent, but have not received any reply.  Mom has also been working on calling the airlines and such to investigate and is planning to talk to San Francisco today.

Aside from the stressful lost luggage situation, I have been having a good time.  The past two days have been very long and busy.  I started at 8am and was in class until 8:30pm both days.  Yesterday morning we focused on getting to know more about NTU by visiting their Gallery of NTU History and by playing scavenger hunt games at important sites on campus.  The group was split up into four teams that were given schedules of the sites they needed to visit.  At each site two teams would have to compete in a game to earn points.  Some of theses included a three-legged race, a water balloon toss, and charades.  Playing these games got pretty hot, but it was worth it because my team won! 

In the afternoon we had our first lectures of the course.  We covered an overview of the fauna of Taiwan and a more detailed presentation of the insects of Taiwan.  It was neat for me to see the insect lecture because I just took entomology last semester.  It was a good refresher to bring back my knowledge of insect anatomy and taxonomy.

This is a bust of NTU's President Fu.  He was president during a time a of great turmoil just after the surrender of Taiwan in it's ciliv war with Mainland China.  He worked diligently to protect the rights of students and faculty and to promote free thought and education during a time of persecution.  

A model of the Gallery of NTU History, which is housed in what was formerly the main university library. 



This plane, made by the NTU Department of Engineering, broke a world record for being the first weather data collection instrument to be flown into the eye of a typhoon.

The pale green lampshade in front is very special because it is one of the only remaining original shades.  Most were destroyed during WWII.

Royal Palm Boulevard 

Fu Bell

Administration Building

Today we visited the NTU Zoology Museum and the NTU Insectarium in the morning.  I have noticed that the Taiwanese are very big into having public displays of what they are doing in their university.  It seems like every department has its own museum or venue for public exhibition.  The zoology museum was basically a collection of taxidermied specimens and skeletons.  The coolest things in my opinion were the two whale skeletons that they had.  It was interesting to me to see how the Chinese students reacted to the concept of taxidermy.  They were enamored when the guide took a boar head off the wall to show it up close so they could see the back.  At the insectarium I realized how glad I am that I took entomology.  I was able to appreciate the collection much more than I would have if I had not had the background in insect taxonomy and the experience of making a small collection myself.  Being able to recognize insects by order in another country was pretty cool.





After this little field trip, we spent the rest of the day in class, learning about the geography, flora, and marine biodiversity of Taiwan.  When the regular lectures were over, us four Western students stayed behind to take Chinese lessons.  We were taught greetings and useful expressions, numbers, ordering food/buying things, and saying what we like/don't like.  It was pretty tough, mostly because it was so late in the day, but I think I have retained at least a little bit.





No comments:

Post a Comment