Tuesday, July 10, 2012


Yesterday was packed full of activities at Meifeng Farm.  We began the day at 6am for bird watching.  This was actually really instructive because we learned how to focus and use binoculars properly in addition to learning to recognize about four bird species and their calls.  What was even cooler than just looking for birds though, was getting to see some field research in action.  At the farm there are several ornithologists that are conducting research by catching birds in mist nets, measuring and tagging them, and implanting transponders so that their movements around the nests may be observed.  We actually got to see the entire process, from removing a caught bird from the net to banding, measuring and implanting the transponder.  I felt so privileged to be able to witness this.  It was also really cool because we got to see Dr. Tom in his element.






After bird watching and breakfast, we were given a tour of several of the greenhouses.  We saw blueberry bushes, a peach orchard, and the temperate flowers.  It was fun for me to see all of the plants that I recognize among the temperate flower species like begonias, hydrangeas, dahlias, and snap dragons.  It did seem a little bit like a waste to be looking at plants that I can see at home while I’m in Taiwan, but I did learn the names of a few plants that I see frequently.  I also learned that begonias are monecious (have separate male and female flowers on the same plant), which I had never noticed before.  








We then proceeded to a craft activity.  They taught us how to make a wire basket to decorate the outside of a jar.  Mine wasn’t fantastic but it looked pretty decent at the end.  I gave it to Robin (Tom’s wife) because I didn’t really have a use for it and thought she might appreciate it. 



After crafting and eating lunch, we went to a lecture by Mr. Pierre about his experience in composting and organic farming.  It was an interesting lecture because what Mr. Pierre has done with composting is rather unique, and the results seem almost too good to be true.  He has been able to compost everything from plant material to meat to shellfish.  When he uses this compost on his organic farm, it appears that the richness of minerals and nutrients available to the plants allows them to produce defense toxins that are species specific to insect pests.  I think that this really needs to be researched further so that we can understand what is actually going on.  The amount of investment and work that Mr. Pierre puts into raising his vegetables makes me uncertain of how it could translate to a larger scale, but it still an intriguing system.

After a bit of a break, we harvested beets. We had a competition to see who could fine the largest one.  Mine didn’t win.  With the beets we picked, plus some apple and pineapple, we made juice.  The beets turned the juice magenta, and were the most prominent flavor (the best way I can describe the taste of fresh beets is vegetably).  I thought that both the craft earlier and the beet juice activity seemed like they were geared toward a younger group, and was disappointed that we did not learn more about the actual cropping systems that are utilized on the farm. 





When we had finished our juice, we did the hedge maze that they have on the farm.  It was so much fun J  Right next to the maze there is a field of lavender, so we went there to take some pictures.  This is a really cute one I got of Carolina.  



Still not finished, at 8pm we had a brief lecture on moths and then went out to observe them.  A sheet with lights in front of it had been set up to attract the moths.  I was amazed to see the diversity of moths that gathered in one spot.  However, what was even more interesting to me was seeing bats swooping up above, feeding on the moths.  I’m not sure if I had ever seen wild bats before this.  The stars that night were also gorgeous.  Since we were at such a high elevation, even more were visible that what I see at home.  Even more special, we had one of the Meifeng Farm staff give an impromptu stargazing exhibition.  She pointed out several constellations such as Scorpio, Sagittarius, Delphi, and Ursa Major, and told both the eastern and western stories that accompany them.

Writing this blog has amazed me.  We accomplished so much in a single day! 





No comments:

Post a Comment